Tuesday, November 16, 2010

If you can breathe, you can do yoga.

If you breathe well, you will live long on the earth. ~Indian Proverb

Welcome Friends! If you have found your way here it is my hope to share my passion for yoga with you. I have been learning about yoga for 20 years.

If you can breathe, you can do yoga.
This is how I was introduced to yoga at my first Yogafit training weekend a few years ago. My instructor also advised: There is no competition in yoga. There is no judgement. Yoga should never hurt. I liked hearing this!
Breath/Pranayama: Prana means breath, vitality, or energy. Ayama means to stretch. Pranayama regulates and extends energy flow through the body.

Easy Seated Pose
 I have found the best way to begin yoga is to find a comfortable place, close the eyes, and begin breathing. Inhaling through the nose softly filling the lungs, and then exhaling deeply through the nose. It instantly puts the body and mind in a calm and soothing place.
Reclined Pose with knees up
These are my favorite two ways to begin my yoga practice. Sitting in Easy Seated pose, or reclined pose with the knees up. Both poses are good for relaxing the body, straightening the spine, and releasing tension. Take a few minutes and give it a try. Just breathe and listen.
Namaste,
Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment